A serious fire outbreak happened in VGC Estate, in lekki Ajah area of Lagos claiming the life of an individual.
- VGC Fire Unit received a distress call at 02:09am with incomplete house address. Only road number was given.
- The inferno was above 70% degree when VGCPORA Fire Crew got to location at 2:13am. Some group of people were seen at the location using water to put off the escalated flame.
- A Resident was trapped on the top floor of the building
- Residents were informed on Friday, 18th January that VGC Fire Truck was faulty. Therefore, VGCPORA called for re-enforcement from Chevron Fire Service (02:26am), Lagos State Fire Department Lekki Scheme II (02:27am) and Lagos State Fire Department Lekki Phase I (02:28am).
- Fire Crew from Lagos State Fire Department Lekki Phase I arrived scene at 02:47am
- Fire Crew of both Lagos State and VGCPORA was able to tactically contain the raging fire.
- Regrettably, the Resident was found trapped in her bathroom / kitchen space upstairs with high degree burns, confirmed dead and removed from the building with the support of LASEMA.
- Rescue team departed scene at about 04.38am.
Facts and Findings
- Sadly, victim was a senior citizen.
- Actual time the inferno started could not be established. All efforts by neighbors to put off the fire was unsuccessful. Distress call was delayed to Fire Unit
- The inferno was discovered and reported late.
- Building was without water supply and basic fire equipment (extinguisher).
- No sign of Fire incident caused as a result of electrical connections.
- It was established that the victim uses her bathroom as a kitchen where she stored a 12.5kg cylinder of propane gas (cooking Gas)
- Confirmed from domestic employee and family members, victim being a practicing Catholic usually lit candle and place by her bedside (wooden).
- Based on investigation carried out, the inferno was caused by lit candle placed by Victim’s bedside and escalated with an explosion from propane gas stored in the bathroom / kitchen.
We are saddened by the loss of life in the fire accident. Our prayers and condolence goes to the family. May her gentle Soul Rest in Peace.
We implore Residents to take all safety precautions to avoid fire incidents.